Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Holga Tips - Think First, Then Shoot

"The photographer should suffer, not the audience." - Daniel Rubinstein

"Don't Think, Just shoot" is the motto of Lomography.  While I think this can be a fun, freeing tactic on certain shoots, it can also cause a lot of disappointment.  Here are some situations that I've come across in my years of shooting a Holga where it pays to think first:

Check your Holga Out
Flip your Holga over and do a quick check.  Are you on "Bulb" mode?  Check at the beginning of each shoot, or multiple times if you are switching back and forth.  This common error can result in a whole roll of wasted film!

Film speed
Is your film speed ideal for the conditions you are in?  If you have loaded 100 speed film and are indoors, or in a low light area, you might want to reconsider your shots.  Or think about actually using the "B" mode.

"Images are farther than they appear" 
Are you close enough?  Remember, that the Holga's viewfinder shows things closer than they actually are.  Think before you click the shutter, you might want to move in a couple more feet.



Winding
It's easy to lose track of what frame you are on, if you do not remember to wind it right away. Unless you are looking for double exposures, think about winding right after each shot.



Look up!
This one sort of ties in with the second point.  Be conscious of your surroundings.  Some things can creep into the edges of your photos, that you might not see in the viewfinder.  Take a quick look around before you click.





The Sun
The location of the sun can make a big difference in your photos.  If you shoot into the sun, be prepared for flare.  If you are not looking for flare in that particular shot, then you might want to adjust your position accordingly.



Put Away your Shoes
Holgas LOVE shoes.



(I have a puppy.... my mind wanders sometimes)


Share your experiences in the comments below!  Do you think before you shoot?  Why or why not?

10 comments:

  1. @HolgaJen I velcro or gaff tape my #holga back on. Also make sure spool is tight with cardboard underneath to avoid loose film rolls

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could never get on with the "Don't think" idea because the first camera I ever had was a Zenit Em SLR which required lots of thinking at age fourteen when you don't have a clue what you're doing. Even now with my Holga I think all the time, I can't afford not to.

    I love your images, thanks for giving us an insight to your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post!
    At first I fired away, now I edit a little more in advance. When I'm looking in the view finder I like to try to actually see what's there. I think to myself "is this as interesting as I thought it might be before I put the camera to my eye? is this the best angle? what can I exclude from this image"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I carry a 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 slide mount with me and hold that up to whatever I'm shooting. Place it on top of the holga to get an pretty good idea of what you're going to capture. It's also good for helping you to fill the frame, going back to @holgaJen(s) point about objects being further than away than they appear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great suggestions everyone!! Thank you for sharing. Keep 'em coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I totally agree!
    My photography teacher always says that there is no such thing as "quick and easy" photography (but companies tell you there is in order to sell the next camera) but involves a lot of thinking and preparation. And that's also part o fthe fun of photography, I think.
    So I use my analogue SLR to learn the technique and what different settings mean, and I use my Holga to study composition because you have to set a little less- but as you show in your blog, you still have to think!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a newbie with Holga so I always think before I shoot bec I can't just splurge on films more so processing and scanning them. But bec my holga and i are still getting to know each other, i always get surprises with my photos.

    still a lot to learn though and your blog is very helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your style, use a photographic language interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually winding right away causes the mechanics in the camera to come under tension, which over time ruins their quality. I don't know how big the problem is with holgas, but at photography class my teacher told me not to do it. I used to think it was easier that way as well, but it makes sense. Nice post though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. On the other hand, I'm not familiar with the mechanics of Holga cameras, maybe they don't have such a system?

    ReplyDelete

AddThis

Bookmark and Share
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Twitter Updates

Followers